Tuesday 1 January 2008

Read your bible, pray every day if you want to grow




Every turn of the year I always try to make a goal for that year - I hate the term new years resolution. It reminds me of things that I've not achieved and given up on with the rest of the world. I know that changing the phrase doesn't do anything but I'm setting goals, not resolutions this year anyway.

But I always set out the 'goal' to read more. I love to read - but time just doesn't allow it these days. The one thing I'm eager to do is not to allow the ordinary books of life take the place of the best book ever - the bible in case you're wondering.
I know that definitely in my life - I've often replaced the reading of THE Holy book with books about the Holy book. How easy is that to do? (or am I the only one)

I can't remember who it was that told me there goal of reading the bible twice a year and the changing their translation ever 2 years. But I think it's a good goal to aim towards. I always say I'm going to read the word cover to cover in the year - but never do. Chronicles kills me lol.

I bought Paul Reids Life Jouranl (advertising lol) from church a few months back when it went on sale, but couldn't cope with starting the reading plan at the end of the year - poor excuse I know.
But I'm amazed to realise that you only need to read 3.25 chapters of the bible a day to do it in a year! I totally thought it was more than that. But it seems totally doable whenever I think about how many chapters of a good novel I read at night.

So I"m going to read 3 chapters of the NT daily and 4 chapters of the OT daily. You can ask me how that's going at any point - or better still join me.

This year is the year of more - more reading the Words of Life!

3 comments:

Leo & Angie Isac said...

Interesting that you say that as I decided to read the whole bible this year as well. Feel that I need to get to know my bible better and in doing that I will get to know and love more the God I'm serving. You challenge me, 'figlia mia'. You've been an inspiration to me and I trust that God will bless you this year more than you could ever ask or imagine.

Angie

Brian said...

I lock myself in the toilet and read the bible every morning. Sometimes I think it is disrespectful but then I figure God understands....

Steviep said...

great minds think alike! how is it going - just read the story of joseph which was probably my fav bit so far - as in challenging rather than mush!

stole ur book link as well - brilliant thanx