Saturday 15 September 2007

How do you pray?


Over the last month or so I've been looking into the whole topic of prayer. When you're praying for something continuously and not really seeing it answered - you have to start wondering if you're approaching it wrong.
So I started reading every verse in the bible about prayer and just thinking about what God's word says about it.
There's a dolly mixture of verses in there that say really different things - from being persistent, to simply asking at it yours... so I did end up getting a bit consused to be honsest.

I'm a big fan of Andrew Wommack and didn't realise that he has written a book called A Better Way to Pray - the audio teaching is online as well. I don't know about anyone else, but I totallly don't get to read as much as I used to, so Amen to listening to sermons. It's great!

In the last week I've been simply listening to this teaching and delving into the book now and then to remind myself what I've heard, and I've been totally blessed simply hearing and understanding what prayer is all about.

I've found a great freedom, understanding that I don't have to spend an hour a day (or whatever length of time) in prayer to God. Sometimes we can spend all day thinking we haven't spent anytime with God at all - but the truth is we have. He can be in everything we do. Andrew Wommack talks about spending time with your partner. You can be in their presence all day long, yet not have any intimate time with them and it doen's mean you love them any less or they love you any less. It's about just enjoying the company of each other. But intimate times are still important for any relationship. You still need to have alone time - you still need to do something as couple.
And we need to apply this is our relationship with God. We need to learn to enjoy His company - whether that's playing with the kids, meeting friends or work. God is still there and we can involve Him is everything. It's about keeping short accounts throughout the day. But intimate times alone with Him is still required at some point.

I seriously recommend reading this book or listening to the teaching.

1 comment:

Nico Fell said...

Good post! It's true that we can get too hung up on *how* we pray instead of just praying and being in God's presence. Book/Sermons sound good. Will try and check it out. Also, I thought Priscilla spoke well on this on Sunday. She was very clear about prayer and also listening to God. Worth a listen if you didn't catch it.